7th Grade - Miss KosielowskiSaint Mark School
Summer Reading Assignment
Summer Reading 2020
Hello 7th grade! I am so excited to start this year off with a great theme and an equally great novel to introduce it. Please read the novel Letters from Rifka by Karen Heese. I was able to find a copy on amazon for $3.99. If you have any trouble obtaining a copy, please let me know and I will find a way to get the novel to you.
In this book we will be reading about our main character Rifka, who flees the Russian Civil War to come to America. On this journey, Rifka discovers her own strengths and passions. We will discuss the overall theme: How do we overcome obstacles and face adversity? when we return in the Fall.
I am looking forward to a great year! Please see below for the summer reading assignment and rubric.
- Write a one page, typed, double spaced letter to the main character in the book.
- Summarize what you know about this character and their journey
- Ask the character a few questions that demonstrate you know something about him/her.
- Share something about yourself that you think the character would be interested in knowing or have in common with you.
- Use correct formatting: Proper St. Mark heading, format to look like a letter
- Mechanics will be graded - correct punctuation, capitalization, etc.
- Turn in on the first day of school.
- 7th Grade Supply List
The following will be provided by Saint Mark School:
- Theme tablets
- Blue marble composition books
- 4 1- subject spiral notebooks (11 x 8.5) NOT 8.5 x 11 (must have a plastic cover, not cardboard)
- 1 3-subject spiral notebook (11 x 8.5) NOT 8.5 x 11 (must have a plastic cover, not cardboard)
- Sharpened pencils/mechanical pencils
- Black pens
- Red pens
- 3 two-pocket folders
- 1 1 ½ binder
- 1 STANDARD SIZED pencil case
- 1 pack of colored pencils (no more than 12)
- 1 pack of crayons (no more than 24)
- 1 pack of THICK markers ( SHARPIES are not permitted)
- 1 plastic standard sized art box (ABOUT 8 x 5 inches)
- 1 roll of scotch tape
- 1 pair of scissors
- 2 glue sticks
- Texas Instruments TI-30 IIS calculator (if you do not have from last year)
- 1 STRONG drawstring bag
- **All textbooks must be covered with a book sock (2) or brown paper**
**All workbooks must be covered with clear contact paper**